NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 2017
DEADLINE: January 27, 2017 See below for application instructions.
DEEP SPACE PERFORMANCE RESIDENCY
"We are humbled by this place, and by the creativity that has been infused into us. By living and working together around the clock, we've learned a lot about what our show is and we are excited to share our work with you and continue growing the piece."
—Christopher Loar, New York Neo-Futurists, The Complete and Condensed Stage Directions of Eugene O'Neill, Vol. 2
The Deep Space Program:
NACL Theatre is proud to offer Deep Space, a performance residency program for artists and groups who make devised, original, or ensemble performance. NACL will support artists who need extended time in the theatre for projects in an advanced staged of development, to incorporate production elements, execute technical rehearsals, and/or refine artistic choices. The program is designed for productions already well-underway and will culminate in a public work-in-progress performance which will be part of the NACL presenting season (May-October). Companies must work with their own technicians, designers and full artistic core.
"It was such an unbelievably positive experience for all of us. Words cannot convey how grateful I am. Having that time in the theater and in your beautiful house allowed us to take the show to a place I am not sure it would have gotten otherwise."
—Robin Frohardt, The Pigeoning
"Frohardt and company have been finessing their piece for years, and the result is something extraordinarily integrated, burnished to a high gloss." —Time Out New York
What Deep Space Provides:
- NACL will provide artists exclusive use of the theatre for one week.
- Deep Space artists are invited to stay at the NACL artist residence located next-door to the theatre. Sheets and bedding are provided. There is a large sunny kitchen for food preparation and meals, as well as an outdoor eating area. Artists must cover their own food costs.
- NACL will produce and present the final performance as part of its presenting season. NACL will provide front of house and box office staff, as well as technical assistance on day of show. Artists will receive a stipend to support their work.
Please write a detailed proposal and send via this email.
Please include the following in your proposal:
- Name of Performance
- Artists Involved
- Contact Info of Project Leader (name, address, email, phone, website)
- Project Description
- Explain how you expect to use the residency time
- Technical Requirements
- Expected Venues and Production Dates
- Bios of Company and Artists
- Please include links to relevant Work Samples
- Please use the following naming convention for filenames of application documents you are submitting:
COMPANY OR CONTACT-NAME OF PRODUCTION.PDF
(doesn't have to be all caps, and doesn't have to be .pdf)
Call 845-557-0694 for more information.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE SPACE (PDF):
- Theatre Technical Specifications
- Overall Floor Plan View
- Grid/Stage Plan View
- NE Isometric View
- SW Isometric View
- South Facing Elevation
The success of the show in New York (due in no small part to our workshop at NACL) has garnered some touring opportunities for us."
—Paul Willis, director of Kristen Kosmas' There There
"I can’t think of a better way to start the theatergoing year than with this language-drenched, resonant knockout..." —The New York Times
Past Deep Space Performance Residency Artists
2014 Superhero Clubhouse; Orange Theatre; Sprat Theatre; Groundswell Theatre Co.; Liberty Free Theatre
2013 Gold No Trade; DDT; Robin Frohardt; Eliza Bent and Dave Malloy; New York Neo-Futurists; Holly Holsinger, Chris Seibert, and Raymond Bobgan; Theater Mitu
2012 Human Lard Dog and the Band of Shy; Sojourn Theatre and The TEAM; Goat in the Road Productions; Kristen Kosmas; Margolis Brown ADAPTORS; Conni's Avant Garde Restaurant; Emily Mendelsohn, Jeff Becker, Eric Ehn
2011 Nightjar Apothecary; Rosaruby Kagan; Bob Wiseman; Mimi McGurl; New York Neo-Futurists; Einy Åm/Eye Knee Coordination
2010 Performers Exchange Project; Dance Box Theater; Parallel Exit
(go back to the top)